I have been very very busy looking for a job from the moment I got back to US. Job search has kinda become my full time job now. Not that I have started to enjoy the process, but I do realize that it does saps out a lot of energy from me. Interviews are very tiring process. It’s not just he 1 hour that the interview happens but what happens before and after that. Before an interview, there is anxiety and stress of performing good. After the interview there is this usual stress of hearing back from them yada yada yada.
I have come to realize couple of things which I think have led to change my perspective on job search altogether.
- I am looking for a job after quitting my other job. Meaning I have all the time in this world to do interviews as well as fret about the outcome. Usually people interview or think of changing jobs while they are already on one job which means that they have already going on something while NOT interviewing.
- Most of the companies when they are trying to fill a position go theough a lot of candidates and take a minimum of 3-4 weeks before they give offers.
So this causes a deadly pattern in my daily life. I usually end up being very anxious and also stressful. Not only that, by just concentrating on this I have totally screwed up my daily schedule of journaling, meditating, blogging etc.
Last Saturday, I went out to a nearby Peet’s coffee and did some of my Ruby work. For 2 hours I was lost in my own world and it’s been such a long time I experienced that. I used to think that I derive joy out of learning. But I realized on that day that it’s not the learning, but the new thoughts, new ideas and new concept that learning brings into my life is what gives me joy. And after I started looking for a job, I basically stopped having new ideas, new thoughts and new concepts. I didn’t plan to be like that!
So, I have decided to get back with my schedule. This would include :
- Writing Ruby programs
- Getting back to my Algorithms book
- Picking up with my Erlang learning
- Picking up my Actionscript learning
- Thinking and blogging about scalability problems/ideas
- Listening to my music
- Learning everything about Salesforce platform and Apex code
- Not to get worried about my job search.
I have decided that my perfect job will come to me when the right time comes up. Till then, I am going to enjoy my life with all the things I want to do.