After spending 3 hours at DMV and realizing all the mistakes -I figured people waste time at DMV because it’s not explained clearly what to do and what to expect. Here is a checklist and a process list – if you want to register a out of state vehicle in California.
- Get the paperwork – Vehicle title (signed by the seller), Registration documents.
- Get the form at the counter for registration & transfer of title.
- Get a screw driver to get your number plates out.
- Get a novel, magazine to read while you wait.
- Have a smart phone with you handy so that you can check FB status.
- Make a note of odometer.
- Check card. No credit cards please.
- 2 days before get a smog test done.
- Once you get the form and a token number – fill in the form.
- Go back to parking lot, get your Vehicle Verified/Inspected.
- Get the license plates off of the car
- When they call you – present your ID, The form, Vehicle inspection, Smog check
- It will cost you about $250
- Get out of there as soon as possible.
If only this was explained as simple as above at the DMV site, I could have saved couple of hours. Phew.